The Wallburg Fire Department was formed due to man’s desire to control wanted and unwanted fire by banding in his efforts with his neighbors and creating specific machinery for the sole purpose of aiding himself in his undertaking. It was with this background that a number of residents of this community began informal discussions concerning the possibility of organizing such a group for community protection. Thus in the summer of 1954 an open meeting was announced for attendance of the whole community by the Wallburg Chapter of Lions International.
The purpose of this meeting was to determine the feasibility of such an organization as a fire department. The following men formed a committee that laid the ground work for the fire department: B.E. King, C.V. Teague, W.F. Craven, O.H. Rothrock, and C.E. Staley.
A charter was drafted by the law firm of Stoner and Wilson in Lexington, NC . The charter was then submitted for approval by the Lions Club at their regular meeting held August 27, 1954. The charter was then submitted to the Secretary of State of North Carolina for the issuance of a certificate of Incorporation. Concurrently, the first set of officers was elected. They were President, C.V. Teague; Vice President, C.E. Staley; and Secretary and Treasurer, B.E. King. The Lions Club generously agreed to underwrite any interim financial obligations made necessary in the launching of the new company. Thus it was granted on the 2nd day of September, 1954, a charter for the Wallburg Fire Department, Incorporated.
The first meeting of the Board of Directors was held October 21, 1954 and thus the fire department was underway with Ralph Kimel being elected as the first chief. C.V. Teague donated the lot on Motsinger Road for the new fire station and it was built largely with volunteer labor, much of it donated by the Future Farmers of America in Chief Kimel’s agriculture class at Wallburg School . Open House was held on April 1st and 2nd, 1955 to show the community the new station, along with their first fire truck which was a 1955 Ford 650 gallon pumper was purchased for $3088.38. The operating money was obtained from the citizenry and through fund raisers. There was no allowance from county taxes at that time as there now is. In 1976 additions were made to the original building to allow for more bay areas and a larger meeting room to provide for the expanding department.
Chief Kimel was also the first president of the Davidson County Firemen’s Association, a position which he held for several years.
On December 12, 1957 , with Chief Kimel being appointed as Davidson County Civil Defense Director, Wallburg Fire Department was the site of which a contract with Motorola, Inc. was signed. This contract was to provide radio communications throughout Davidson County with the central station for the system to be based at Lexington Fire Department.
In 1991 Wallburg Fire Department purchased a 1991 Pierce Engine, It was the first truck in Davidson County to feature an enclosed pump panel.
In 1996 the Wallburg Fire Department Board of Directors purchased land at the intersection of North, North Carolina Highway 109 and Georgetown Road from Brooklyn and Gale Swaim for the future site of a new station. On October 5, 1996 a Ground Breaking Ceremony was held to begin the construction of the new fire station. The station was constructed by Karl Stimpson Builders of Pfafftown, NC.
October 11, 1998 a Dedication Ceremony and Open House was held at the new department. Board President, Bob Stack and Vice President Chris Kearns led the program which was attended by many county representatives, community members and past chiefs. The new department houses 7 fire apparatus featuring drive through bays. The building was also built so that the community can utilize one side for various functions with the fireman’s side containing bedroom facilities along with meeting rooms and a full kitchen.
In February of 1998 due to the increase in calls in our area the Board of Directors voted to hire a full time firefighter to provide coverage for our community. At this time Chris Kearns was hired as Wallburg Fire Department’s first full time firefighter.
A year later in February of 1999 sensing the needs of our community the department began to run medical and rescue calls in our fire district. A total number of 15 firefighters had completed the necessary training to be eligible to run these calls. In July of 2001 with the rapid growth of our community along with increase in call volume, the Board of Directors of Wallburg Fire Department voted to provide 24 hour coverage with the hiring of 2 additional firefighters. This change has provided continuous fire protection to our community 24 hours a day.
In mid 2002, with the increasing role and responsibilities of the fire department, the Board of Directors voted to hire a full time chief. In January of 2003, Mark Reid became the first full time fire chief of the department.
In July, 2008 the Board of Directors voted to hire 24 hour part-time personnel to work with our 24 hour full-time personnel. We now have 2 personnel on duty 24 hours a day.
The following community members have served in the capacity as chief: 1-Ralph Kimel, 2-J. Mac Smith, 3-Jack Craven, 4-Eugene Beck, 5- Paul Craven, 6- Jack Craven, B.B. Roberts, 8-P. Andrew Brinkley, 9-Mark W. Reid, 10-P. Andrew Brinkley, 11-Mark W. Reid.
The department now has a total of six fire apparatus; these include three engines, brush truck, Quick Response Rescue Squad and Equipment van.
The department currently has 4 full time personnel, 33 volunteer firefighters, and 4 junior firefighters, 12 members on the board of directors and 22 members of the ladies auxiliary. All of these people make up the department as we know it today. Each of these modern day hero’s is friends and family dedicated to the great community that we serve.